What is Encore!
en·core |ˈänkôr|… The audience’s demand for a performance to continue or be repeated.
What is Encore! Mt. Morris? Volunteers committed to developing Mt. Morris, IL into a unique, thriving rural and cultural arts destination in northwest Illinois. Encore! Mt. Morris has the full cooperation and support of the Mt. Morris Village Board and Economic Development Group and complements other local economic development activities.
About Us“Wouldn’t it be great if the old college campus buildings on the square were used for education again,” mused Roger Thorngren to his daughter, Andria.
Years later, that remark had grown into an idea -- a vision held by Andria Thorngren Burchett to combine education with the arts in the 1900’s era sandstone and red brick buildings on the former college campus in Mt. Morris, Illinois.
In 2015, Andria, herself an artist in Geneva, Illinois, shared that idea with the Mt. Morris Economic Development Group (EDG) and a spark was ignited.
Together with the Mt. Morris EDG and a group of supporters, a strategic planning conference was held in April 2016 to work through the idea of creating an arts destination point in this small rural community in northwest Illinois. More than 80 people from within and outside the community volunteered for a 3-day planning session, including planning educators, and former city managers and administrators from the Chicago suburbs. Read more about the participants and event. See photos of the event.The result? Encore! Mt. Morris, composed of six committees, passionate about revitalizing their community, who are moving forward with action plans focused on key areas of need and opportunity.
- Build on existing strengths in local arts and artisans
- Transform the historic campus buildings and other uptown properties into centers for visual, performing and culinary arts
- Attract other small business such as lodging, cafes, fine dining, specialty shops, wine cellars, and galleries
- Work with related groups, private instructors, artists, and regional academic institutions to incorporate educational opportunities
- Strengthen tourism and infrastructure; create a robust business district that supports the arts activities
FundingDonations to Encore! Mt. Morris are tax-deductible and can be made through the Village of Mt. Morris. Please make checks payable to the Village of Mt. Morris, with “Encore” on the Note line.
Village of Mt. Morris
105 West Lincoln Street
Mt. Morris, IL 61054
Tell Us A Little About Yourself
Subscribe to Encore! News